Purpose of the Space4Women Network
The Space4Women Network is one of the two primary activities of the Space4Women initiative, the other being the Mentorship Program (see “About the Mentorship Program” for details). While the Mentorship Program is a structured and formalized program with specific guidelines for participation on behalf of the mentors and mentees, the Space4Women Network is open to all who commit to the participation requirements.
As a Space4Women Network member, participants are part of a global professional and educational network focused on advocacy, awareness-raising, and action in supporting gender equity in the space sector. Network members commit to personal initiatives aligned with the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals and aimed at increasing access to and representation in educational and professional opportunities in the space sector. Network members are able to share information about these initiatives to wider audiences through ongoing social media and outreach campaigns conducted by Space4Women.
Scheduled network activities include regular (quarterly) meetings and the opportunity to engage in specialized working groups around topics regarding gender equity and the SDGs for space applications.
Benefits of Participation
- Join a global community of space professionals from the private and public sectors from diverse career and educational backgrounds who are working to use space to support the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals
- Engage industry leaders to raise awareness of and take action on gender equity in space and STEM education and professional opportunities
- Connect with others in the space sector and build working relationships through Space4Women events, webinars, and networking opportunities
- Integrate gender equity as a focus into your company or organization’s operations strategy through discussion and knowledge-sharing
- Share information about initiatives through ongoing social media and outreach campaigns conducted by Space4Women
Space4Women Network Participation Requirements
Anyone of any gender with an interest in space and a willingness to support women and girls in space education and careers is welcome to apply as an member of the Space4Women Network. All Network members must commit to the following participation requirements:
- Complete and submit the “Space4Women Network Member Application Form”.
- Make one personal commitment to demonstrate how they are working toward promoting gender equity and creating change in the space sector (or related field). These personal commitments are intended to be flexible to best address the needs of the communities they are enacted in and can range from one-on-one efforts (e.g., coaching a colleague about opportunities for advancement within the space sector) to larger scale initiatives (see past Space4Women Network initiatives for examples).
- Space4Women Network members and their associated initiatives must follow the Space4Women Network Code of Conduct and UN/ Space4Women logo and branding guidelines.
- Network member status lasts for one year, after which a new application form must be submitted.