Space for Women Expert Meeting: Initiatives, challenges and opportunities for women in space
UN/Brazil/United Arab Emirates
Space for Women Expert Meeting:
Initiatives, challenges and opportunities for women in space
21 - 22 OCTOBER, DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Organized jointly by
United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA)
Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation of Brazil (MCTI)
Brazilian Space Agency (AEB)
National Institute for Space Research (INPE)
Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre (MBRSC)
The organizers will be monitoring the the global health situation carefully and will be communicating any updates on the planning and preparations regularly through the events website.
DOCUMENTS AND LINKS
- Application open until 31.08.2021
- Read all about the Space4Women Initiative here.
- Contact details: space4women[@]un.org
The meeting is part of the "Space for Women" Project (Space4Women), which falls under the United Nations Capacity Building Initiative. Space4Women encourages women and girls to pursue Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) education and raises awareness about career opportunities and the importance of gender equality and empowerment in the space sector.
Purpose & Target audience
The main focus of the meeting is to discuss how the benefits of space can reach women and girls, and ensure they have an equal and active role in the areas of space science, technology, innovation and exploration. During the meeting the participants will have the opportunity to engage in presentations, discussions, lectures and networking, whose main aim is to promote gender equality and women empowerment in the space area in accordance with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 4 (Quality Education) and 5 (Gender Equality).
Decision-makers and experts from international organizations, governments, non-governmental organizations, as well as senior officials and representatives of the private sector, research institutions and universities are all encouraged to apply.
- Raise awareness about the role of women in the advancement of space science, technologies, applications and space exploration;
- Identify the main initiatives, challenges and opportunities for women in the aerospace sector;
- Enhance the participation of women in aerospace careers in terms of the number of women in the organizations of the sector and mainly in terms of the accessibility to leadership positions;
- Promote discussion on how space technologies and applications can help women and girls to overcome the current gendered structures of inequality, promoting empowerment and inclusiveness;
- Present models of women who can be an inspiration for young women and girls in their pursuit of careers in the aerospace sector;
- Use gender-sensitive lenses to look at the effects of institutionalized attitudes and gestures that reflect policies often legitimated in terms of masculine characteristics, contributing to the perceived inauthenticity of women's voices in matters of policy-making in the aerospace sector; and
- Discuss how capacity-building initiatives can help the achievement of the objectives and targets proposed.
Focus on the discussion of specific themes related to (1) role models and mentors who promote careers in STEM fields and in the space sector; (2) opportunities for women in the space sector; (3) the space sector working as a driver for women development and (4) hands-on experiences.
Session 1: Role models and mentors who promote careers in STEM fields and in the space sector.
|Session 2: Opportunities for women in the space sector.||
|Session 3: The space sector working as a driver for womens development.||
|Session 4: Hands-on experiences.||
It is expected that the meeting not only raises awareness on the theme but also promotes further concrete policies and actions towards gender equality and women empowerment in the areas of space science, technology, innovation and exploration.